The Institute of Pharmacology was established along with the Medical Faculty of the Charles University in Pilsen, and the first head was prof. F. Hora, MD. At the end of 1946 the Institute was temporarily closed and the exams were done by assoc. prof. Zadina, MD, who commenced from the Prague Pharmacological Institute. In February 1948, the institute was restored, led by Stanislav Petlach, MD. After several relocations, rooms were procured in Procháskův pavilon. In 1951 prof. Zdeněk Köcher, MD came from Hradec Králové, and he led the Department until his death in 1966. The Institute was led by prof. Vladislav Eybl, MD, PhD. Since 1994, the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology has been directed by assoc. prof. Jaroslav Koutenský, MD, PhD,. In 1995, the workplace was renamed to the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology.
Since 1.10. 2014, the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology is located in the new building of the University Medical Center (UNIMEC), together with other preclinical disciplines, in close proximity to the Pilsen – Lochotín Faculty Hospital. From 1.2. 2015 assoc. prof. Eva Kmonickova, PhD is the head of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology.